Skip to navigation

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists Insurance in Washington

Hughes Robbins, P.S. Jan. 15, 2014

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for people injured in auto accidents to find themselves injured by a driver who has little or no liability insurance.

Washington state statutory laws require insurers doing business in Washington offer Uninsured Motorist insurance (UM) and Underinsured Motorist insurance (UIM) to persons purchasing liability automobile insurance. Uninsured Motorist insurance provides compensation to the insured when he/she is injured by another driver who is without any automobile liability insurance. Underinsured Motorists coverage provides compensation when the insured is injured by another driver whose liability insurance coverage is insufficient to fully compensate the injured person.

UM/UIM claims are complex with many legal loopholes for insurance companies to use to deny and limit coverage. If you are injured in a motor vehicle collision, seeking the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney who works with automobile and insurance law is always a good idea. If you or someone you know has been injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact Scott Hughes for more information.